Lasko 4000 Air Stik Ultra-Slim Oscillating Fan

"I bought this fan to use on a timer. The problem is: the front switches have to be pushed after the power is cut (restored) to the fan. I wanted a mechanical on/off switch which would remain "on" when the power is restored. Fortunately, it is very easy to do: 1. I bought two small toggle switches at Radio Shack: an on/off toggle for the oscillator function #275-0374, and a three-position toggle, "center off" for the fan speed #275-0375. 2. Remove fan's base and back cover. You'll need a Torx "security" driver size T-20 for this. I used Titan 12710 Tamper Proof Star Key Set . Note: the rear cover has very narrow and deep passages to reach the screw. A torx "bit" won't work. The "driver" will be too wide to fit into that passage. 3. Remove the fan blade/motor. It's attached to the housing using 5 ordinary Phillips screws. 4. Open the switch housing and snip *all* the wires off the printed circuit board. NOTE: You'll need to cut off some of the black cloth-like sleeve over the wires to give yourself enough slack/freedom to work with the wires. 5. The fan motor has 3 wires: red, black and white for high speed, low speed and electrical neutral (respectively). Using the 3-position switch, solder the red and black wires from the fan motor to the bottom and top switch poles (respectively). There is a red wire coming from the base. This is always-hot power. Solder that red wire to the center poll of the 3-position switch. NOTE: You should do that middle (always hot) one first because it will be easier to reach with the outer poles empty. When this switch is connected as described, it will make contact with the always-hot red wire and the low-speed black wire (soldered to the top pole) when the switch is flipped down. It will make contact with the always-hot red wire and the high-speed red wire (soldered to the bottom pole) when the switch is flipped up. It won't make connection to anything when the switch is in the center position. 6. Connect the white (neutral) wire in the fan body to the white wire coming from the fan motor. The printed circuit board controlled this neutral path. Now you just want it to be always connected to the motor's neutral wire. The new toggle switch is what makes/breaks current to the motor's low/high speed wires. Note: Use heat-shrink tubing to insulate this connection. (If you don't have a heat gun, you can use a match or lighter to heat it a little so it shrinks onto the wire.). 7. The oscillator motor (in the base) has 2 wires. The neutral (white) is already connected in the base. The power (black) goes into the fan body where the printed circuit board controls it. You snipped that black wire off the circuit board. Solder that black wire to the 2-position toggle switch. You want to connect the red always-hot wire to the other poll of this 2-position toggle switch. This means you need to cut that wire in the base and solder two short pieces of wire (hopefully colored red, to avoid future confusion). One of these added wires will connect to the 2-position toggle switch. The other added wire will connect to the red wire going into the fan housing (completing the wire which existed before you cut it. You're basically making a "T" branch on this always-hot red wire.). NOTE: Use heat-shrink tubing on these connections. Basically, always-hot (red) comes into the switch and exits on the black wire to the oscillator motor in the base which has another wire connected to neutral (white) in the base. 8. Drill a couple 1/4" holes in the face of the fan (next to the push-button switches) and install the toggle switches there. It works great. I can leave the fan switched on, with the oscillator on. When the light timer turns on, giving power to the fan, the fan comes on. Just like an old-fashioned fan with mechanical power switches. UPDATE: As others have mentioned in their reviews, this fan makes rattling sounds after a period of use. Since I'm using it 24x7, I noticed the rattling after 3-4 days. I removed the back cover, pulled the fan motor housing (5 phillips screws) and applied some grease and oil to the top and bottom "bearing" surfaces. The top has a rubber can which will pull out. Inside the cap is a brass bushing (which may twist out of position when you remove the cap). I squirted a little "marine bearing grease" inside, and smeared it on the shaft. I had some of this grease from other household projects. It's a "wheel bearing grease." Rather thick. For the bottom bearing surface (going into the motor) I used Zoom-Spout Lubricating Oil . I used this because Zoom-Spout has a long (retractable) spout which will reach inside the fan body and allow you to drop 3-4 drops onto the shaft, allowing it to run down into the motor. This oil is also good because it's not paraffin based. It won't gunk up over time. It might be ok to use this oil on the top. But, I wanted something more "grippy" for the top so it wouldn't run down and dry out over time. The bottom, you're really limited because you can't reach in easily."

Lasko 4000 Air Stik Ultra-Slim Oscillating Fan (Compare Deals from $22.89)

"I've never had a fan like this before. Mine are all the usual propeller-in-a-cage style...loud, bulky dinosaurs compared to this cool little cooler. The size is perfect for your desk or, in my case, the little table near my bed. It is very slim and not very tall so finding a good spot for it is no problem. Another big plus...the fan is almost noiseless...there is a slight whooshing sound, but nothing like the WhompaHompaWhompaHompa of my ceiling fan or the loud WHHHIRRRRRRR of my blade fan.* I can hear this little fan gizmo if I listen for it, but it quickly fades out. Some reviewers claim that it's noisy. I don't know what kind of fans they have used in the past, but unless you have ears like a bat, you shouldn't have a problem. When it comes to moving air, the Lasko 4000 Air Stik Ultra-Slim Oscillating Fan (fan gizmo) doesn't put out a big wind, and that's exactly perfect if you want it at your desk or next to your bed. Who wants Hurricane Doogie blowing your hair and your papers to kingdom come -- or plastering the cat against the headboard? This is more of a gentle breeze that truly does caress you as it brushes past...and doesn't that sound nice? There are two speeds, but high is necessary for you to feel anything. Low is so gentle, you could just ask the cat to breathe in your direction...and since it might still be annoyed from that headbord incident, the answer will probably be 'no.' Not to mention, if your cat is like mine, its breath will reek of tunafish. Anyway, if you use the high setting and have it oscillate, you will get a perfect, delicate little breeze fanning you up and down. Really, really nice. So if you're sweating out the hot summer nights, you want this little fan gizmo. I have nothing negative to say about it, except that the low setting is a little bit pointless. Five cool and refreshing stars, no problem. *If you enjoyed these appliance impressions, I am available for Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, Anniversary Parties and other special occasions. Your guests will love hearing such old favorites as Dishwasher (shhhhhhh thonkathonkathonka shhhhh)and Refrigerator (hmmmmmmmmmmmm), and they'll thrill to the exciting new sounds of Lawnmower, Blender and Espresso Machine. Guaranteed to turn any gathering into a Party. Senior discounts available. Tell you friends!"

"I had a fan of this shape before but the buttons were on top, and it had a rubberized bottom, was well balanced and silent, but I can't remember the brand (was from Costco) and I lent to a friend at work, but it somehow was "lost".. I got this one for beside my bed so that when my cat and dog lie beside me in bed, the airflow along the bed will draw the hair and dander towards my air purifier. Seems simple enough, and it worked well with the other fan.. NOT THIS ONE. Pros: It was cheap enough, and it was quiet enough even though it only had two speeds (low was more like Medium and HiGH was too high and noisy). I had it running pretty much continuously for the first week. Then it got cold out and I turned it off one day. That night I tried to lean over to turn it on, and that's when you realize design flaws. First, the buttons aren't on the top, so that you can just push down with a single finger. The fan sits on the shelf attached to the side of the waterbed and is on the outside of the headboard, so I had to get up every time I wanted to turn it on, because you had to push the buttons with so much force that it just slid around. You had to use both hands to turn it on; one hand to hold the top of it, the other hand to hold the bottom of it and then use your thumb to turn it on. I had it for several weeks of annoying agitation, and since it worked okay, I certainly couldn't return it just because I didn't like it. So I did the next best thing.. I bought a replacement that has the buttons on the top, and then I took this one outside and ran over the P.O.S. with my Big Truck Tires !! The satisfaction was immeasureable as I heard its little plastic guts crackle and crush under the weight of my off road tires.... Then I happily swept it up and put the remains in the trash, to never be bothered with such a flaw ridden design of a device ever again..."

"One of the best mini tower fan I ever had! My budget is tight but I figured better spend some money to help cool the back of computer or an Xbox console as it would obviously cost way more than I can afford if I don't help it cool down. I did quite a research before I bought 3 types of fans by reading the 3 star reviews of small/personal fans here at amazon. This one is a bit more than the spt mini tower fan but it was my first choice because generally, i have had good experience with lasko products (had a tower fan and i have a tower heater) and so I bought it along with the spt. I regret buying the spt for the lower price and just to satisfy my curiosity (benefit of a doubt that it's just a matter of marketing) because my unit is very noisy and at the same time tilts/leans when it oscillates. Now, I don't know if all spt mini towers are like that or if mine is an isolated case but that's basically a fact in my case. I can't return or exchange because it has been months since my purchase and I only tried the oscillate function today. Sigh:( Anyway, going back to this lasko mini tower fan, omg!!! It's sooooo quiet that I sometimes forget to turn it off!!! And the air flow is close to the brookstone mini max tower fan (this one is really good too!) that I've had for many years now. I have fixed the spt mini in a corner away from people and pets (when it leans to the right, it looks like it could literally fall - scary scenario for me) as a precaution. But what I'm going to do eventually, when I have extra money is that I'll buy another one of this lasko mini tower. It's so slim. Looks elegant like the brookstone. It's worth every penny!!! I wish they'd also make something a bit taller for kitchen to help dry dishes and also one that would stand horizontally to put on op of kitchen cabinets!!!"

"I purchased two of these small tower fans, one for my office cubical at work and another for my desk at home. After a week of use at work, I really like it. It uses very little space so it doesn't get in the way. Strong enough to provide enough air circulation to keep me cool. Some of my office co-workers have even asked about it, they found it to be very stylish. I would have given it five stars if it weren't for the very cheap plastic power on and oscillating buttons on the front. They do require some pressure to switch on. I think they could have made a fantastic small fan even better by moving the led light off the button itself and providing soft touch rubber buttons instead. Time will tell if the hard plastic cheap buttons will last or break with time. The other issue I had and its not a big deal, it isn't silent as I had hoped. It does sound like a hair dryer on a low fan setting. My office space at work is pretty quiet so perhaps I can hear it more than many others might. In a busy office environment you might not even notice the sound. Another suggestion I would recommend to Lasko would be if they could provide another version of this same fan with grip for mounting underneath office cabinets and shelves. Given how small and slim this fan is, a grip that would allow for 180-degree swivel underneath a shelve or cabinet would be absolutely ideal for the office. Anyway, I'm giving it four stars because I feel there is some room for improvement on this very nice design and hopefully some of my suggestions might be taken into consideration and show up in a updated model."

"Alright! Let us start with the only con! The mechanics to this this clearly give off a a mix of a whine. I'd likely state that is from the lack of grease which probably could be fixed if you take off the safety screws, and lube up the mechanics! The sound isn't that high just your average fan sound unless you have the most sensitive ears in the world. It is no different than an air flowing computer that most people adjust to...fans are never going to be 100% silent, so I could even give this 5 stars! Moving to pros! Doestn't take up much space! Chills nice for rooms even a sorta bigger bedroom or office just not going to cool an entire floor with this thing. Any who it does have 2 speeds for turning that chill through the room. The buttons in the front are LED lit; blue, so you can operate it in the dark as well. Oh, and no there is no setting it up/putting parts together...you just take it out of the box, remove the plastic from the packing, and plug it in then turn it on! For those still wondering more about the sound. You know that obnoxious sound some people don't like that machine pumps for air mattresses make? Ya, sorta that though not as loud/annoying. Just lube up the parts, and I'm sure it will go away. Nothing is perfection. I'd also like to add that music at medium and tv shows at medium drown the sound of it out, so ya it really isn't as loud as people are crying about."

"I bought this fan to use in my office space, after being very happy with full-sized column fans. Unfortunately, I didn't have a similar experienced with this one. My priorities were: 1) quiet, 2) small, and 3) effective. This fan is small, but doesn't do well on the other features. That makes it an expensive 'emergency' fan that I'll only use if I'm extremely hot, rather than keeping it on. And, I have to slouch to cool my face / head. Pro: + SMALL. footprint is about the size of two credit cards, or a little larger than a dollar bill folded in half + Nice looking. It looks solid and well constructed, and has a nice finish. Con: - NOISY. The noise is the same timbre as a hair dryer, though admittedly much quieter. Noisier than normal desk fans I've had though. - Buttons. To push the buttons, you have to hold the back of the fan to keep from pushing it over. The fan shape makes it unstable when nudged. - Narrow band of effect. The fan sends air out in about the same shape and size as the grill. If you're not in exactly the right spot, it doesn't hit you. Also, since you can't adjust it up and down, you can't aim it at higher targets like your face. - Oscillation range is very small. At 3' from the fan, it oscillates enough to cover perhaps 2' side to side. It sounds like a lot more than it feels like. I expected to get a quiet, not terribly effective fan. Instead, I got a noisy one. I would not buy this again and would not recommend it unless you're OK with your desk fan just hitting your torso, and sounding like (though quieter than) a hairdryer."


Lasko 4000 Air Stik Ultra-Slim Oscillating Fan (Compare Deals from $22.89)