BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light diagnostics - Android ONLY


"I bought this not knowing if it would detect the manufacturer-specific codes in my 2002 Toyota Prius. First, let me start off by saying, I am not a mechanic. I'm an average person who can follow instructions and prefers DIY repairs if they'll save me hundreds or even thousands of dollars. My Prius has been sitting inoperable for over a year because the hybrid battery is faulty. The 12v auxiliary battery had drained and no electronics would turn on, so I attached a JNC660C Jump-N-Carry (which I purchased for that purpose) and got the power restored to the ECU so I could read the diagnostic code/s. This little guy lit up right away, flashing its lights and retrieving the codes. A flip of the Bluetooth switch on my phone and a quick download of the free version of the Android Torque app later, and I was in business. The Torque app leaves something to be desired, but the BAFX scan tool did its job. It easily connected with my imported AGM Rock V5 phone (using the supplied Bluetooth pairing password) and sent a P3030 code, which is VERY specific to the Prius. It only sent the one code, which surprised me, as I thought there may have been more that was wrong with my car... and perhaps there is, but I cannot start the engine until I fix the hybrid battery. Now I can fix the hybrid battery, knowing what's wrong with it. The unit works in near real time with only a slight delay. I can't be unhappy with its performance, having spent around $23 (I chose the BAFX unit rather than the $11 Soliport model, based on reviews). Next I used this on a 1996 Toyota Rav4 (manual transmission) that was not throwing any engine codes but definitely has some engine problems. Although I was unable to diagnose the engine problem for lack of codes (and lack of skill or experience as a mechanic), the BAFX scanner still sent very useful information to my phone, such as engine load (%), RPM, intake manifold pressure, engine coolant temp, etc. I am confident the information will help me diagnose the mechanical problem/s. The Torque app can be customized according to how you prefer to see your data (individually customizable dials, graphs, and displays). It takes a bit to set up, but I now have it in a configuration that makes the most sense to me (fuel information on one screen, engine information on another, etc.). The unit may be left in while driving to compile data on MPG efficiency (real-time or averaged). You can clear the check engine light with this unit. Finally, I used this on my girlfriend's perfectly healthy 2003 VW New Beetle (automatic transmission). As expected, it did not throw any DTC codes, but it was VERY interesting to see her car's engine load % was only 4-5% at idle, while my Rav4 fluctuated between about 25% to 30%. Maybe there is something to that... As far as switching this unit between platforms (Prius to Rav4 to VW), there was nothing extra I needed to do. All I did was unplug it from one vehicle, plug it into the next vehicle, and wait a few seconds for the unit to make the connection to my phone. That's it! I did not use the CD that came with the unit because I did not intend to use it with my laptop (perhaps I will at a later date--maybe it will give more in-depth information). I will say the link the app provided for the P3030 code for my Prius did not contain any information on the code. I had to separately Google the code, but big deal. Overall, I'm very happy with the unit and might purchase another, perhaps with a cable, where I can move it behind the dash so it is not in the way while I drive. ***** UPDATE ***** I fixed my Prius, and still use the BAFX to clear the occasional P0420 (catalytic converter) code. I need to get it replaced, but being a hybrid, I'm not damaging much by clearing the code. The BAFX tool allows me to clear the code every time my computer decides to tell me my catalytic converter needs replacing (about once every 3 weeks, the engine light kicks on). I plug this little dude in, switch my bluetooth on (now I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S4), open up the Torque app, and clear the code. Problem solved (well, temporarily, anyway). I recommended this to a friend, who had codes with a Land Rover. He was able to diagnose and clear his codes with my device, so he bought one. I need another now, because I kicked mine accidentally and broke it while trying to take off my parking brake a little too aggressively (woops!). Mine still works, even though the plastic was smashed and broken, and the pins were bent (I bent them back into place using a pen or keys or various other sundries)."

BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY (Compare Deals from $23.99)

"I bought this scanner so that I could disable the backup beeper in my 2013 Toyota Prius V. The device worked like a charm, in conjunction with the Torque app that I downloaded to my HTC One M8 Android phone. It's not particularly intuitive and it took me about an hour before I realized that I had to go to Menu/Manage extra PIDs/Sensors and manually import the PID for disabling the backup beep. The Priuschat forum was helpful in supplying the info that eventually got me to an Excel spreadsheet that had all of the codes for my vehicle. Here is the link for both US and metric: http://priuschat.com/attachments/geniii-prius-4-24-12-zip.37079/ Here are the instructions for how to do it: "This topic has been covered many times but I'll save you the trouble to look it up. Dealers should do if for free. If your dealer will not then find another dealer (talk to the service rep as your salesman might not know anything about it). Some have had it done at purchase with most waiting for the first 5000 mile checkup. They'll usually say they'll do it once for free then charge afterwards. Though some will try to charge even for that first time. Another solution is to use a Scangauge II (which is about $160 currently on amazon) but it's has a small screen and limited interface and confusing commands (if you're new to it). The advantage is that it's a self contained unit and connects directly to the OBDII port on your car and has a reputation of being very reliable. If you'll check the other parts of this forum you'll see threads dealing with bluetooth OBDII scanners that you control with a PC, tablet or smartphone. There are a lot of different compatible devices with some of the better one's hovering around $90-100, or you could get one of the knock-offs for about $20. I bought a highly reviewed unit off amazon for about $23 and it works brilliantly. I interface with it through my Android phone using the Torque app that I paid about $5 for. The advantage of this is that it's wireless, and you have very nice visual interfaces of lots and lots of data coming from your vehicle. This thread in particular: GenIII Prius Custom PIDs for Torque app | PriusChat has ton's of custom PID's to use in the Torque application - basically means they made custom commands that can give you easy access to a ton of information and some commands to change things like the reverse beep. All you need to do is connect the Bluetooth scanner to the OBDII port that is fully exposed and just below the steering wheel - takes just a few seconds. Then download the Torque app (if you have an android device - iphone doesn't do as much as the android) to your phone and install it. Download the zip file in the link above with the PID's. You want to unzip it and move the files to your .torque/extendedpids folder within your android device. If you use an app like ES File Explorer you it can view, move and even unzip the file. Turn on your engine, and turn on the bluetooth on your phone. You can connect from within the app, but I prefer to use the phone's bluetooth settings. The device should show up, and you can try to pair to it. My device's password was "1234" use whatever was in your instructions. Now on your phone start the Torque app (should already be connected to the scanner), hit menu and set up the vehicle profile. (before you do that you can go into settings>Units and adjust the unit to your region so that the next step makes more sense) These were recommended: Engine Displacement: 1.8 Weight:3275 US lbs Fuel: Petrol Fuel tank: 11.9 USG Max RPM: 5200 Volumetric Efficiency: can't find this information, though it's supposedly a calculation of the volume of actual air being pumped vs theoretical - I just left it at the recommended 85 but others put in different numbers. Remember to save everything. Under menu>"settings">"Manage extra PIDs/Sensors" screen hit your menu button again then >"add predefined set" you should see a list of vehicles and the profiles you had just unzipped to your device. Choose "GenIII Prius 4-24-12 (US)" or if you like there is another option for (metric) Then the screen will show a list of a ton of custom PIDs. Most of these are commands to access information that you can set up as a gauge to view in the Realtime Information desktop view. But there are a few commands that you can send to the car one time (through a test function of the Torque app) to adjust settings like the reverse beep: Scroll down all the way to the bottom. You'll see a PID for "Reverse Beep Disable". Choose it then from the pop up choose >edit. From there just scroll down all the way down and you'll see a button called Test. After clicking the test button a status/confirmation popup will show. After that is done the reverse beep is now disabled. Try to put your car into reverse to confirm. You can also adjust a few other things, like seatbelt alarms. Scroll through list to see them all. To just send the command one time, you need to do a test. Most of the other PID's are to check realtime status of the engine. You can also check error codes and reset them. Great device to have and I much prefer being able to set alarms and beeps myself." Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/turning-off-the-reverse-beep-on-a-2012-prius-v.116512/#ixzz3NQw6W0Jb This device does work for a very reasonable price."

"OK, so its supposed to work on any vehicle from 1996 and up. Which it did work wonderfully on my Saturn Vue and my GMC Savanna 2500. I even took it to where I get my cars worked on, and the owner thought it was one of the greatest things out there! It showed a complete run down of diagnostics, and showed everything was OK with the car. Until........ I plugged it into my 1996 Dodge Ram 2500, and it started talking, reading off fault codes, and wouldn't stop until I unplugged it. OK, I know my Dodge is old, but it runs good and plows snow like no tomorrow! So i put the BAFX code reader in the glovebox in the Van, and didn't think anything more about it because we were going on a trip the next day, and thought it would be nice to have. Halfway across Kansas, at a rest stop in the middle of no where, I saw it in the glovebox and decided to plug it in. Then, the engine would not start. So I unplugged it, and the engine did start back up, but a whole bunch of idiot lights on the dashboard would not turn off. So I stopped the engine and restarted it again, and then most of the lights went off that time, except for the "security" light. The Van was running fine, and I didn't want to chance it not starting the next time, so I drove off until the end of that days driving. I was kinda wary about shutting it off, but there was a Chevy dealer nearby, so I went ahead and turned it off. It started right back up, but the "security" light was still on. I was tired from a days driving, so said the heck with it and went inside to the hotel, got dinner and went to bed. The next morning, with the sun shining and the birds tweeting, (**&^$@@#%%!)! I went back out to the van, it started, this time with NO idiots lights!! Wonderful!! I said, and threw the BAFX scanner in the trash at a hotel in the middle of Kansas. Continued with my trip, and all went well for the rest of the trip!!! :-) So, last night I was thinking how thankful I was that the BAFX scan tool did not permanently mess up the van, and since it happened on the use right after I used it on the Pickup, that the pickup must have destroyed it somehow. SO, to make a long story come to an end, I (reluctantly) bought another, because I really liked the info I got from it before I used it in the old pickup. This time It will stay in the GMC Van ONLY, and see what happens. Ya know, if I had read my own review here, (this one I'm doing now) before I had bought the first one, I probably would not have bought it. If your someone just looking into it, to possibly purchase, I would say, "maybe". I did have the problem, although It COULD have been my trucks fault, but since I did already pay for the app for it I bought the scan tool again. But, if I hadn't have already bought the "Torque pro" app, I wouldn't be buying it. Quote me on this. "I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER IF THIS ONE MESSES UP!!" UPDATE 6-20-2013 I received the new one, and I cant get it to work. I finally got it to pair, but it wont read on my phone!!! Update 6-27-2013 After multiple paring and un pairing, and lots of time spent, I give up. It will pair, but it wont connect. I give up. BAFX Has never contacted me, and I cant find a way to contact them, so its going back. Never again. Dont waste your time on this. Update 6-21-2015 Ok, this review is kinda late, but BAFX did get with me and we got this thing working. It's really a great tool when paired with their app! I definitely recommend this! I use it all the time with my android tablet and have created a digital dashboard that's easier to read and has more options! It's really kinda fun! And since the tablet is on top of the dashboard it easier to read when traveling down the highway."

"This is the best auto accessory going for anyone with any kind of Bluetooth enabled android device and a vehicle made after 1996. Overall, for the price of a very basic scanner from AutoZone or the like you can purchase this and Torque, which gives you a much more functional diagnostic tool. This scanning tool alone will do nothing for you ... you MUST have a Bluetooth enabled ANDROID (Phone/Tablet) or WINDOZE (Laptop/Slate?) device and a decent software package (none of which is included here). I recommend, and prefer, ANDROID. Most of the bad reviews I have read center software not the device. I have paired my device with my laptop (Windows 7), 2 android tablets and cellular phone with no issues. I have profiles for multiple vehicles in Torque and DashCommand, also with no problems. I tossed the CD that came with this as soon as I opened the packaging... it only contains "evaluation" versions of windows based software, and I do not think that it is fair to judge the functionality of this unit based on third party software anyway. The Head unit in my Truck actually has support for DashCommand installed so it is convenient, but I prefer Torque. PRO: 1. Pairs with all of my Android (2.4, 3.0 and 4.1) devices (only 1 can be active at a time) 2. Nearly no lag when configured properly 3. No problems with any of my vehicles (Nissan, GMC, AUDI) I have heard of issues with Ford, but I believe it is a software issue, not an issue with this ELM327 device. 4. With the right software can clear codes which trip the Check Engine/Service Engine Soon (CEL/SES) lights. (Will save you about $100 if you have a dealer or auto shop do it for you). Some states will not "Safety Check" a vehicle with the CEL/SES lit even if it is a BS error from a loose gas cap. 5. Continuous, close enough to be real-time, engine data can be displayed on demand while driving. (Torque can math your fuel efficiency, HP, and torque output from the engine data) Just be aware that some of the data used in the equation will come from the accelerometer in your android device and should be viewed with at least some skepticism. CON: 1. A bit larger than it appears it the pictures, If you intend to drive with this connected take a look at where your OBD2 connection is under your dash and be aware that this thing is going to need about 4 inches of clearance. 2. WILL DRAW POWER from your battery even when the engine is off ... do not leave it plugged in 24/7. I do not believe THIS model has any power saving features, there are others that do ... but I know THIS ONE works with everything I own. Regarding diagnostic codes: The Torque application has a database of diagnostic codes and will generally tell you, in relatively plain language, what the code means. Many cheap ($50 or less) scanners do not do this, you are simply presented a code which you then have to look up yourself. WARNING: If you are going to use this to clear CEL/SES lights make sure you keep a record of the codes you clear, and when you clear them. Most software packages include a utility to log error codes and save them before you clear them ... USE IT. If a code returns shortly after it has been cleared (even if it is once a week) it is a legitimate problem that needs attention. Also, having backups of any codes you clear can assist a mechanic trouble shoot any problems. DANGER : If your check engine light is CONTINUOUSLY FLASHING you should shut the engine off SOMETHING BAD HAS HAPPENED, read, but DO NOT clear the codes. At this point you should have your vehicle towed to a repair shop. If you backed up the codes you will have your own record to balance what a repair shop is going to tell you the problem is."

"Since this product receive so many positive reviews, I purchased it due to that fact. I'm guessing that so many other similar products react in the same manner and would give similar results, but for the priceless experience of reading someone else's reviews I've learned over time the value of quantitative amount of positive feedback. The Unit arrived five days after the initial order and was as I would have imagined compact in design and size. It was quite simple really, an OBD II device with a Bluetooth link for both iPhone and android devices. Pairing the OBD II reader with an android device was straight ahead and yielded immediate results through Bluetooth. Using Torque lite or Torque Pro is most definitely the only way to go with Android. For both Android and iOS the Bluetooth code to connect is 1234. A card in English accompanies the device and gives tips on a quick setup routine. Since Apple does not want their users to enjoy unbridled freedom from their smart phone devices or touch pads, they limit the amount of availability of applications and invoke restrictions on how one can most effectively maximize use of the device. One of those restrictions is the limitation of Bluetooth devices that an iOS device can access. There is a simple workaround to Apple's Bluetooth limitation. I read a review from another individual who purchased the Bluetooth OBD reader and effectively used it with his jailbroken iOS device. Yes, that is correct; in order to utilize the Bluetooth OBD device for iPhone one must possess a jailbroken iOS device. The simple steps are as follows: 1. Download Dash Command from the app store. It's a quite hefty price but some of you might actually want to pay it. 2. Jailbreak your iOS device by any feasible means necessary. 3. Open Cydia, and search for Roqy BT 4. 4. Install it, return to Cydia, then search for Roqy OBD4 and install it also. 5. Plug the OBD Device into your cars data port and wait about 3-4 seconds. 6. Open Roqy BT 4 from your homepage and set it up accordingly; 6a. Configuration, OBDKey 6b. Device PIN code: 1234 6c. MTK workaround: On 6d. On data request: On 7. Roqy will immediately locate the OBD II. 8. Select OBD II from the Roqy BT4 menu. 9. Upon connection you will receive 2 sets of numbers, a tcp number which should start with 127.x.x.x and a port number 35xxx. Write down or memorize both. 10. Open Dash Command, go to settings. 11. Scroll down to the connection menu and enter the following: 11a. OBD-II interface type: ELM 11b. OBD-II data port: (type in the numbers from Roqy BT4), tcp 127.x.x.x , port: 35xxx 11c. Aux input type: none 11d. Aux input only off 12. Return to Dash Command main menu and locate & touch the connection icon. 13. Dash Command will breathe life into your iOS device and depending upon the make and model of your vehicle, you should be able to take DTC readings, torque numbers and the grand plethora of valuable information. The mechanics that attempted to repair my vehicle hid the fact that there were a few error codes pending with my vehicle. You no longer have to live in the dark and wade in the shadows of not knowing what exactly is wrong with your car truck, SUV, etc. You now possess the means to find many solutions to the problems that exist because of the once silent voice of your vehicle. Become the car whisper. Listen to that inner workings and feelings of your vehicle as it reaches out to you and wants to tell you that there's something wrong with me, help me. We depend on our vehicles to take us to work, experience adventures and wonders throughout our lifetime. At times family, friends and new acquaintances accompanying us in our vehicles and in the exchange of companionship we offer them worry free protection for mishaps that they occur if the uninformed mind is not made aware of an impending situation. Whichever device you may choose to diagnose your vehicle whether it be wired or wireless, please make sure that for your peace of mind and for the state of safety for others the diagnosis is accurate and the problem effectively resolved. This has been an unbiased review by fully satisfied user."

"There are a lot of other reviews, but adding one more won't hurt, will it? The most helpful review is still relevant, as the Scan Tool works just fine with the Torque app if you have an android device. I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and after the Scan Tool arrived, I went to the Google Play store and paid for and downloaded the Torque app (please, pay for the full version and support your developers who come out with these wonderful applications!). Then, I read the installation instructions on the card that comes with the Scan Tool and couldn't have found it any simpler to use it! In less than ten minutes from opening the box, to buying the Torque application, to watching the video, and opening up the app, I had cleared that pesky check engine light! The software that comes included with the Scan Tool was not used. I knew why the check engine light had been on, but could not afford to spend a ton of money for an overly expensive scanner. The code had already been given to me by a professional who used one of those scanners, and after using the BAFX version, it gave me the same error code and after deleting it from the car's computer. I removed the code and instantly, the check engine light went off on the dash! The other functions of the Torque app combined with the BAFX Scan Tool are very helpful as well, especially with fuel economy, and RPM figures. I plan on using this in a diesel truck I drive which has no KPM listing on the speedometer and taking advantage of the HUD option. If you understand what the codes mean and can use basic automotive tools, this device along with the application, could potentially save you a lot of money if you take the effort to do it yourself. The best thing to do is to take the code, the make and model of you car, and type it into a search engine. Usually, the most common problems will show up in links and so should the ways to resolve those problems. Keep in mind that most codes a computer (ECM) puts out are mostly generic codes and quite often, do not give you the exact reason as to why your car is malfunctioning. What it will do however, is give you a baseline from which to start with. Again, typing in the code and the make and model of your car into a search engine and seeing the results are the best thing you can do. Also going to a parts store like Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, O'Reilly's, or NAPA can help you with your repairs. If you give them the code and make and model of your vehicle, they can recommend the most common problem with that code. Dealerships can too (especially if you call the PARTS Department), as they have a list of the most common problems overall with your make and model of car. However dealerships aren't always so friendly, so tread lightly. Know your limits - if you're not sure of what you're doing, ask a qualified professional for help or visit the thousands of automotive forums out there for help. You should also be careful to be a dumb lunk head and don't use so much force with taking off parts of your own car, you could essentially strip off a part that could cost you a LOT of money to repair than what the original damage was!"

"So I got this after noting other WRX owners had it. I have a 2011 Subaru WRX STI and wanted to buy a $270 turbo boost gauge just so I can "understand" my car a little better so I know how to stay out of boost to help improve MPG and also to know what rev I need to be at to get on boost for maximum performance. I bought this thinking that it might at least help. Seems the readings are relatively quick (at least judging how fast engine RPM updates compared to the car's actual gauges). The turbo boost reading is helpful and I can see how to stay out of boost and how to get on boost, etc. I see that when I stomp on the gas pedal on the highway I get peak of 14.8psi (spec says max is 14.7 and I'm guessing some small amount of error). I see how to stay out of boost too. I can tell the turbo is kicking in because I can hear it. I started adding other display items like trip MPG and real-time MPG -- not sure how accurate they are but we'll see how it goes. I also use the G-force widget and that looks fun too. I ended up putting all the revs, speed, and boost on the display so that I don't really have to look down at the car gauges anymore. One caveat -- the ELM 327 does not turn off when the car is off. This means it's using battery. For example, I left the unit plugged in for about 14 hours (overnight) and tested my battery with my voltmeter and it read 12.54V across the terminals. I believe a happy battery should read above 13.5-13.7V. I had no problem starting the car but I'm betting leaving the ELM 327 plugged in for too long will make it so that the battery doesn't have enough volts to start the car. Bottom line -- be careful when leaving the unit plugged in. I understand that plugging/unplugging every time you want to use it is a bit of an annoyance -- but so is having to jump start your car at inopportune times. Anyway, I have this unit paired with my Samsung Galaxy S3 with the Torque Pro (paid version) app and it's a great tool. It's definitely worth it. I'm really glad I delayed the $270 turbo boost gauge. After this, I see no need for that boost gauge anymore (except if I don't have my phone of course). One more thing, the maps feature is really cool. I can see where I travelled and be able to share it with others. When my wife asks where I've been, I now have a really good answer. Update: I see that after leaving my car for a few hours with the ELM 327 NOT plugged in, the voltage is only 12.85v (not the 13.5-13.7v I mention above). so with 12.54v, the drain isn't really that bad. Update: Leaving car overnight with ELM 327 NOT plugged in, I did one more check and see 12.5v. At this point, I'm not that worried about leaving this unit plugged in for a day."

BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY (Compare Deals from $23.99)