Magic Bullet NutriBullet Pro 900 Series Blender/Mixer System

"The NutriBulltet Pro 900 Series is a very good blender that I've been told makes a little finer blend than the Nutri Ninja Pro. I do know I was very satisfied with the NutriBullet while it worked and judging from all the positive reviews this appears to be the case most of the time. Unfortunately, mine worked for only about 2 months before it quit. I found that if I worked with it enough I could eventually get the motor to come back on. However, on the next use this intermittent operation problem recurred until I hit some unknown point where it began to function again. I contacted NutriBullet and they said if the plastic tabs on the cup were damaged, it would cause this to happen, but changing to a new cup didn't help. I notified Amazon's merchant, BKKT Products, and they said to return the unit and they would gladly replace it. So again, Amazon's outstanding customer service continues to be reassuring. However, NutriBullet said for $6.47, Tax, Shipping & Handling they would send me a new base. It seemed a little unfair paying anything to replace a defective and potentially dangerous unit, but I decided this would be easier in my situation than packing up the old unit and sending it back to Amazon for replacement. I haven't received it yet so time will tell if this is an on-going problem or an isolated incident. Basically, I was satisfied or I would have asked for a refund instead of going thru the trouble of getting another one. However, I did learn a few things from this experience that maybe of interest to other NutriBullet owners or perspective buyers. First, NutriBullet will not do anything about their warranty until they've received a copy of your proof of purchase; a requirement which is not mentioned during the online registration process. Though this isn't a big deal, it can slow things up if you need warranty service because it takes about 4 days to activate it after they receive your fax or mail. You can get more information on this by calling NutriBullet toll free at 1-855-346-8874. Second and perhaps more relevant, if you purchase it from a third party vendor such as Amazon's BKKT Products, NutriBullet will not honor their warranty from date of purchase or date of delivery regardless of the proof of purchase you mail or fax to them. Instead, they begin your warranty period from the Date of Manufacture. In my case, the unit was purchased in June, 2014 but was manufactured in December 2013, so I lost 6 months of warranty coverage while it was enroute from China and sat on a store shelf or in a warehouse. I think this a questionable marketing ploy to coerce buyers to deal directly with NutriBullet. I can't be sure of their motives but I do know what happened in my situation. Third, I questioned their representative about Consumer Reports' evaluation where the blade failed after some rigorous ice crushing tests and as a result warned that due to safety concerns of possible broken blade fragments, they've "judged the NutriBullet Pro 900 a "Don't Buy: Safety Risk." If you already own the product, we suggest you stop using it." NutriBullet responded about the same as they did in the Consumer Reports article. They claimed they had received no complaints from customers on this issue and that it was never intended to be used as an ice crusher and maintained this evaluation was unfair; "- - - stating that the machine is not a blender or an ice crusher and should not have been subjected to the ice-crush durability test, which we {Consumer Reports} developed years ago after receiving increased consumer complaints about blender durability. The company added that crushing ice with the NutriBullet Pro 900, without the presence of water or other liquid, constituted a misuse of the product. The NutriBullet Pro 900 is indeed marketed as a "superfood nutrition extractor." Yet major retailers such as Amazon.com, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart sell it as a blender, and NutriBullet, LLC itself compares the product to "other blenders" in its owner's manual. What's more, an earlier generation of this model has been in our blender Ratings for several years; it made it through our durability test without any trouble. As for the alleged misuse of the machine to crush ice, nowhere are users given this warning. We {Consumer Reports} think it's a conceivable use, and in an FAQ on the NutriBullet website, users are even encouraged to add ice to "NutriBlast" recipes because it "will give a slightly thicker consistency and nice chill." And though many recipes call for water, there's no explicit warning against using ice without liquid." The full report can be found on the following link: [...] Finally, the numerous positive reports of the NutriBullet Pro Series 900 lead me to believe that it definitely has some merit when it's functioning properly. Consumers should be aware of Consumer Reports' findings and factor that into their buying decision considering the possible limitations and determining what their expectations are when using the product. The warranty restriction appears like it's intended more to avoid their warranty commitment than to honor it. This information is not readily publicized until you need service when, depending on the Date of Manufacture, it's conceivable that the unit will be out of warranty before you expect it. After all, about the only way to find out the Date of Manufacture is to call NutriBullet. Fortunately, most reputable vendors such as Amazon are more responsible in honoring their agreements, but this information is still good to know. Customer service at NutriBullet is OK but you may find that you have to work at it. E-mail replies are sketchy. I never did get an e-mail response to either of my inquiries. However, I did get a phone call which I think may have actually been a follow-up on a previous phone call rather than a reply to my e-mail. So best case scenario, you get a unit that works as advertised as apparently a lot of users have found to be the case. However, if you're unfortunate and have problems it's essential that you can produce the required documents and that hopefully the warranty is still in effect if you've purchased it from another vendor and choose to deal directly with NutriBullet. This review is not intended to be judgmental in condemning or endorsing NutriBullet. Instead, it is intended to relate my experience to possibly help in making a more informed buying decision."

Magic Bullet NutriBullet Pro 900 Series Blender/Mixer System (Compare deals from $99.99)

"I was on the verge of trying to talk my husband into buying a Vitamix. I was skeptical that such a small device as the Nutribullet, costing less than $500, could really grind up hard veggies and nuts. BUT IT DOES! I'm pretty texture-fussy about my food; if something is supposed to be smooth, I won't like it if it has chunks - even if they're soft chunks, like banana. With the Nutribullet Pro 900, my smoothies are ... SMOOTH. I've used it every day for the week I've had it. A typical smoothie for me is two handfuls of baby spinach leaves, 4-6 baby carrots, two spears of fresh pineapple (I chunk it, but don't think it's really necessary), two fresh mango spears (chunked), half or whole frozen banana (I cut them into quarters before freezing), a handful of frozen blueberries (sometimes a mixture of frozen strawberries/blueberries/raspberries), 20 whole almonds, a teaspoon of flaxseed meal (that I grind up in a coffee grinder - it won't grind if you put it into the smoothie whole, although I've read some reviewers that say they grind it in their Nutribullet before adding the other ingredients), 1 heaping teaspoon of Ceylon cinnamon (purchased in bulk from Amazon - if you take cinnamon as a supplement, consider switching from cassia - the kind found on grocery shelves - to Ceylon; it has far less of the blood-thinner coumarin, which is said to damage the liver), then fill 'er up to the max line with unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk. (Coconut milk is good, too, but has more fat.) Sometimes I throw in some protein powder (never as much as they call for). The consistency is perfect for me - like a milkshake. You will NOT taste the spinach. Depending on the berries, sometimes it's sweeter than others; frozen berries from Walmart seem to have little flavor, compared to name brands. Can't wait for summer; there's lots of fresh berries in our neck of the woods and I'll freeze my own. The ONLY thing that doesn't get ground up is the berry seeds - blackberry and raspberry especially. Again, like the flaxseed, I think it's because they're too small. My husband doesn't like to combine fruits and vegetables (not because of taste, but because he believes your digestive system doesn't like the two together). He prefers all fruit blended with a little water and a few ice cubes. Comes out more like a slushie than a milkshake. We have not yet tried blending only veggies; he would probably like it, I probably wouldn't. I seldom eat breakfast and usually have my smoothie between noon and 2 pm. Dinner these days consists of legumes (lentils or baby limas, mostly) cooked with chopped spinach and brown rice; sometimes I'll bake cabbage or Brussels sprouts to go with. We've been snacking on carrots or bean chips with hummus. Trying to stay away from meat, gluten, corn, peanuts, sugar, soy and dairy. I've caved to cravings a couple of times (not sweets - bread!), but we both believe we're starting to feel health benefits. Some weight loss, not a lot (yet). But the gut I'd gained for the first time in my life is shrinking rapidly! We bought a juicer many years ago but then never even took it out of the box. Juicing just doesn't seem all that healthy to me; I love that the Nutribullet gives you whole foods, in a drinkable, tasty form. For someone who seldom ate fresh fruits or vegetables and was really into processed convenience foods because - well, they're convenient, this machine has been a godsend. I feel like I'm doing something really healthy for the first time in a long while. Now, if the machine just holds up..."

"About me: I own a Vitamix, I love frozen smoothies, and I am new to whole food juicing (trying to get healthier these days...). My sister got this blender first and raved about it, plus all the stuff it comes with. I was hesitant at first to justify buying this since I have an expensive vitamix, but my vitamix container is really tall and does better with larger servings, not as good with a single serve smoothie (and it is a professional model I found on ebay a few years ago, I am having trouble finding the short container that will be guaranteed to fit, also they are pricey!). But I digress...I bit the "bullet", pun intended :), and I am so glad that I did! I have never owned any previous magic bullet nor anything similar to compare it to, but this 900 watt version blends like a dream! Especially if you follow their recommendations closely. The only time it leaked on me was due to user error, I was stubborn and went way above the line with my ingredients...and I paid for it because it did leak...but I got it cleaned up and learned my lesson, no leaking since, yay! I do put frozen fruit in it for my smoothies, if it does glob up and stick together, I take it off and give it a few hard shakes, put it back on, and I am in business again (they do tell you in the book that comes with it that this can happen, and they specifically show you the "shake" technique to loosen the ingredients up). Occasionally, I have to put a little more fluid in if it is too thick. Again, this is usually my user error and not the fault of the machine, as I tend not to follow exact recipies, I just throw in my frozen fruit, Kefir or yogurt, juice or coconut water, and supplements without really measuring anything, just eyeballing it. This has also been great for whole food veggie/greens juices. You have to cut the veggies in chunks ~1 inch first, but otherwise this machine blitzes them up nicely. You do retain the fiber, so there definitely is a different texture to these drinks compared to a juicer version, but that's the whole point, you are supposed the keep the fiber! I find it more palatable to add a little fruit, and some banana especially helps with the texture (or a small amount of yogurt) since it adds a little creaminess. Avocado helps too. I put my Nutrex Hawaiian Spirulina or other super food supplements in there and have a nice healthy drink! I also love that you don't have to switch the smoothie/juice to another container, just remove the blending base, and pop the lid on! The containers are slightly large in width for my car's cup holder, but I somehow get it to balance in there if I am drinking it on the go, just a little wobbly :). I do wish it came with the milling blade, I had to order that separately and haven't received it yet, so we'll see if that works just as well. Of note, this machine got "do not use" reviews recently from Consumer Reports, but I read their testing methods which involved trying to crush 7 large ice cubes without any fluid, which caused some of the blades to damage. I did not remove any stars for this, and have not personally had any issues at all with my blender, but I also would not abuse this blender in that way as it is not advertised to be an ice crusher. I think as long as you have some fluid in there with your frozen fruit and follow their guidelines in the books that are included, it should be fine. If any of my blades suddenly break on me, I will update this review. In the meantime, I definitely plan to continue using as this machine is awesome!!!"

"I bought this Nutribullet Pro 900 from Amazon as a Christmas present for my wife back on 07 December 2013 (sold by Speed of Light Distributors). It was delivered quickly, but then sat under the tree, unused, until 26 December 2013. Initially, my wife enjoyed it quite a bit. But, on 10 January 2014, after about 10 uses, the gasket ring on one of the blade assemblies came off. Thinking it trivial, we didn't pay too much attention to it. But, we noted that the manual specifically states that the gasket ring should not be removed and if it does come off, we should contact the company for a replacement blade assembly. My wife confirmed that statement by asking on their Facebook page and they told her how to contact support. She emailed support, told them the story, and gave them a copy of Amazon's invoice. Today, Nutribullet emailed back and told her they wouldn't honor the warranty because the seller (Speed of Light) isn't an "authorized vendor." They told her she could buy a replacement at full price. Needless to say, we declined their offer and are returning the unit to Amazon (even though it's beyond the normal Amazon 30 day return period, it appears that Amazon will allow her to return the broken unit for a refund). So, here I am with a review. Now, on its own, the above is reason enough never to buy anything from Nutribullet LLC. But, on the off chance that you poo-poo that statement, here are some comments on the Nutribullet Pro 900, itself. Due to the joy of the holiday spirit, I paid way too much for this: about $190 (it's much cheaper now). Prior to the Nutribullet, my wife was using a $40 Oster blender to make smoothies. From the glowing reviews here (including reviews that said the Pro 900 version was wonderful for blending ice and frozen fruit), I assumed the almost-five-times more expensive item would be better than the cheaper item. Well, it's not. Though the Nutribullet does handle frozen materials, it does it no better than the old Oster: in both units, the frozen stuff wants to sit in one congealed blob and not blend. She had to fight with it just as much as she did before. For fresh fruit and vegetables, the Nutribullet works fine. But, if it works any better than that $40 blender, it's a subtle difference. The one good thing about the Nutribullet over the Oster is that it seems just a tad less noisy: perhaps the difference between a jack hammer and a jet engine. I'd also like to note that the Nutribullet comes with a boat-load of documentation. Unfortunately, 99% of it is, essentially, infomercial fluff. Plus, the tiny bit of actual information in that documentation seems to be wrong. The thing that immediately leaped out at us (besides failure to honor the stated warranty after about two weeks of use) is that the manual specifically states that you shouldn't fill the cups beyond the fill-line. Yet, that fill-line is approximately at the 2/3 level. Trying to follow the included recipes, my wife found that she couldn't fit half the materials specified into the cup. After consulting the Nutribullet Facebook page, she determined that it's the added fluid that should stop at the fill-line. The solid material could go up to the top since it will blend down to a fraction of its size immediately after the unit is turned on. So, there you have it. An infomercial level of equipment and documentation, breaks in a way specifically warned of in the manual after 10 uses, refusal to honor the warranty after 10 uses, and works no better than a blender costing 1/5th as much. I think that's definitely worth a Terrible rating of 1 star out of 5 and a warning to never do business with the Nutribullet company. My thanks to Amazon for allowing my wife to return this fine Christmas present I got her. EDIT (08/19/2014): We've been using a Nutri Ninja Pro (BL450) for about the last three months without issue. It doesn't have as many attachments, but no one seems to be having gasket problems with it. Also, the blade seems better designed than the Nutribullet's and it handles frozen material much better."

"This thing is great! I had to learn not to overfill the cup so it wouldn't leak onto the contacts that get pressed down to start the machine. Once that happened, even though I cleaned it up really well, one of them got stuck in the up position. A little rubbing alcohol and then pushing down on the spring-loaded contact a few times, and it was fixed. I also had to learn to stop blending after 30 seconds, or so, and re-tighten the blades onto the cup. I have small hands and the spread I have to make to screw the blade assembly on means I can't get it tight enough to guarantee that it won't leak on the first try. After it runs a bit, the gasket warms up and I can tighten it quite a bit more. I've been using my NutriBullet every morning and also for mixing things when cooking, and so far, only one of the blade assemblies (it came with two) has leaked right through where the blade connects to the rubber part on the outside that fits into the machine. No problem, though. A call to NutriBullet and they sent me another blade assembly for free. Of course, I had already registered my purchase with them so I could get warranty repair, if necessary. The customer service rep said that I can mix frozen fruit, but that this isn't the machine to use to make frozen drinks like slushies or drinks with lots of ice added. That's OK. I have an old Vitamix for those kinds of yummy summer drinks. What I mix is nuts and seeds with frozen fruit (cherries, or berries, or sliced peaches), and protein powder in the tall cup. Sometimes I add a cut up carrot or half a baby zucchini, or half a banana, whatever I'm in the mood for. Just add water - a little less than the max line because it increases in volume if I run it for one minute two times to get the seeds pulverized, and I don't want the volume to increase so much that it leaks. The customer service rep also said to never soak the blade assembly in water, or dishwater. Just give it a quick rinse with the dishwater and a dishcloth or brush, if needed, and rinse. I set mine on its edge to dry so all the water drains away from the blades. My advice: read the instruction booklet carefully, follow the directions, and try a bunch of the recipes. Yum!"

"So far, I love it. No leaks or breakage. I use it every day. I am very careful to follow the manufacturer's instructions. 6/23/15: Update! I still LOVE this thing and if it breaks in to a million pieces, I will get another one in a heartbeat. Since I purchased this unit back in Dec 2014 and another one for the office in Jan 2015, the largest colossal cup stopped working after the little plastic tips that engage with the base unit finally wore down and broke off one by one. When the last one broke off, it would no longer work, so I tossed it. It was too expensive to purchase another one of that size, so I started using my spare colossal cup. I will have to say that after using this device twice a day, every day for 6 months, that I've come to abuse it, overfill it, put ice in it and eventually, it did do what some of the other reviewers stated. I put a frozen quarter of an avocado (don't laugh) in it along with all my other stuff that I cram in to the cup and, low and behold, that frozen avocado busted through the colossal cup and green smoothie goo splattered all over me, the kitchen counter and the entire office kitchen area. Not pretty! But actually, since I wasn't impaled by any projectiles, it was actually quite funny. I also experienced the cups leaking in to the base of the Magic Bullet. Again, I put in too much stuff and there was no place for it to go but out the bottom of the base of the cup. I did a few things to correct it. One thing is I make sure that I tighten up the blender blade base as much as possible to the cup. If it is just lightly tightened, I had leakage issues especially when I would overfill the cups. I also started to see smoothie ooze leaking out the bottom of the base of the blade assembly where the three little screws are located near the black gear thingy. I tightened those screws up as much as possible without stripping them. That resolved it leaking in that area. The last "rig" that I did is to take a tiny piece of clear packing tape and carefully place it over the hole that is exposed in the bottom of the blender base. In case my cups did leak, there was no place for it to go down in to the motor mechanism. A rig, but it works. Like I said above, I crammed those cups full. Reducing the amount I put in (after the exploding incident) and being careful about too many large frozen items has made things go much smoother, literally. I am now down to the large size cups for making my daily smoothies. Am I upset that the cups failed. Not really, as I feel that I really abused them. I put in far too much frozen material in them and I could hear the unit working far too hard for its ability. So I've gotten a little more careful with the frozen items and put less in the cups. Now, instead of one colossal cup for me and my husband's morning and lunch green smoothie, I use two cups. It's a bit more of a hassle, but the benefits that we gain from this jewel of a machine far outweighs the small amount of care that I put in to them. If these two babies die, I'll get another two in a heartbeat. Hope this helps!"

"We have a Vitamix. We understand what a super, top of the line, powerful blender is and does. This is not a Vitamix. It has plastic parts and about one third less power. But, that's not why we bought it. I bought one for myself. This is actually the second one I bought, and it is for my adult son and his bride. This is perfect for Smoothies (A little green, and a little fruit on the go.). Wash up is so quick and easy, it is smaller than a standard blender and fits in my little "soaker tub" so easily for clean up. We have Blender Bottles because green on the face is a little scary and they hold the exact amount it makes. I've ready all the reviews and will pass on a couple of cautionary points. This can crush ice, but you stand a bigger chance of damaging your blade-get something else if you do that a lot. Always put some liquid in it when you are done adding your other fresh ingredients-up to the "Max Line" marked on it or you will cause the motor problems. After all, it is not a food processor. Do five second bursts. Press, 1,2,3,4,5. Come to a complete stop. Repeat five times. Pressing the inverted cup down, which turns the unit on, for long periods of time is probably going to damage the motor. Once you're used to it, you can throw in a handful of greens, a handful of fruit, a teaspoon of crushed nuts, some water, and Voila!- Healthy Breakfast/Snack. You can also easily make healthy, homemade salad dressings with two handfuls of skinned, chopped fruit and a tablespoon of crushed nuts. No added oil in the food. We don't do cute. When this machine first came out, I thought, "Oh, how cute. The little girls will love it." How wrong I was. It is a marvelous tool to add to our kitchen arsenal for healthy eating in a fast paced world. It is indeed "Cute", but all the muscled up manly men in my life ask me to use it just as much as the ladies do in our big extended family. I feel like a salesman for the product-I'm not. I know it is made in China, and I do try to buy US (We bought the Vitamix after all.), but good is good. And this is very good for the small, quick things it does in the kitchen."


Magic Bullet NutriBullet Pro 900 Series Blender/Mixer System (Compare deals from $99.99)