Brita Water Filter Pitcher Advanced Replacement Filters

"I currently use a Brita pitcher filter but I've been researching the alternatives in order to decide whether to stick with it. The Soma filters (available only through their website) are nicely made from sustainable materials but they provide no data on how effective they are, and the absence of information seems a little sketchy. The ZeroWater pitcher filter looks compelling, and is one of the few filters to claim reduction of chromium-6 (see below). But perhaps if I was to switch from Brita it would be to the Berkey system which removes a lot of contaminants (chromium-6, heavy metals, and volatile organic carbons) and because of the steel construction and long-lasting filters, appears to be more sustainable. Meanwhile, the fact that you can now recycle Brita filters through the Preserve Gimme5 program significantly increases the probability of my continuing to buy them. You can find drop-off locations on both the PreserveProducts and Brita websites (they are commonly located outside Whole Foods stores). Personally my biggest concern with municipal water is the presence of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that are not regulated and certainly not understood in terms of health risks (a 2009 NY Times article "That Tap Water Is Legal but May Be Unhealthy" is worth reading). We're now aware of the dangers of endocrine disruptors such as bisphenol A (BPA) but there has been a huge increase in the number of new organic chemicals generated the chemical, pharmaceutical, and agricultural industries. It's the potential for removal of some of these organic compounds that makes a carbon filter a worthwhile choice for me. Note, however, that a carbon block filter (such as a Brita faucet filter if used at low flow rate) can remove VOCs much more effectively than a pitcher filter. Keeping the water level in the pitcher high enough so that it's in contact with the filter will improve VOC removal efficiency but it probably won't be as effective as a Brita faucet filter or a Berkey system. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) found very high levels of carcinogenic chloramine by-products in Washington DC tap water and recommended filtration through carbon. Chlorine and chloramines are often used to disinfect water at municipal treatment plants and can pose health risks if not effectively removed before reaching the consumer. The EWG also found surprisingly high levels of chromium-6 in tap water (following Erin Brockovich's investigation you would think this issue has been dealt with by now) and Brita filters aren't certified to remove chromium-6. A reverse-osmosis (RO) filter can do it, but considering it wastes 3-5 gallons of water for every gallon purified, RO isn't a very green choice from a water conservation viewpoint and since the water purified by RO is mineral-deficient it's not good for your health either. Alternatively, the ZeroWater pitcher filters (if you can afford them) do remove chromium-6, and they do offer cartridge recycling (where they recycle the both the plastic and the resin) but you pay for postage yourself and get credit in return (which may not cover the cost of your postage). However, based on some of the negative reviews for ZeroWater (mainly citing filter life, bad water, and cartridge price) I've decided that if I switch from Brita it will be to a Berkey system. A key advantage of the Berkey system is that it removes bacteria and parasites, so it can be used to filter unclean water in an emergency. One thing's for sure: any one of my top three options (Berkey, ZeroWater, or Brita) is a whole lot better than buying bottled water. For more information on Brita sustainability and impact, researchers at the Sustainability Science group at the University of Vermont have written a useful evaluation of Brita filters that you can find on the web. Overall, I'll give the Brita pitcher filter system 4/5 gold stars for quality of the product and 4/5 "green" stars based on the social-ethical-environmental aspects of producing it."

Brita Water Filter Pitcher Advanced Replacement Filters, 3 Count (Compare Deals from $14.88)

"I have been drinking water from the same Brita pitcher for 15+ years. In all that time, they never changed the design of the filter replacements... until now. It's not a revolutionary redesign. But it fixes the major inconvenience of the filters: there is now no need to pre-soak. They also have reduced the black carbon flecks from leaking into the top area, which has always annoyed me. COST BREAKDOWN These puppies are sold in 1-pack, 2-pack, 3-pack, 5-pack and 6-pack, all with Prime shipping at the time of writing. At the recommended 40 gallons of use (same as the old filters), they cost from 16 cents to 12 cents a gallon. As I said, my Brita pitcher has been in use for years. You should always keep enough water in the pitcher to keep the bottom of the filter from drying out. HEALTH BENEFITS For someone who has been using Brita filtration for drinking water for so long, you might expect me to be more gung-ho on the health benefits. As much as I like that it filters out (some) chlorine and proven-harmful heavy metals like mercury, I also miss that it filters good stuff like zinc. It does not filter fluoride, which most science-minded people agree is a good thing. Most American cities provide incredibly healthy tap water already. If you have old pipes in your building A) never drink from the hot water and B) you may still have some contaminants introduced into the tap water, which the Brita will help remove (if it is copper) or not help remove (if it is lead). There is some research to suggest that drinking filtered water adds to bacteria exposure, but I'm actually in favor of that. Mildly-harmful bacteria increases the power of your immune system and helpful bacteria is, well, helpful. TASTE Some of the things the Brita filters out add "flavor" to tap water. Your mileage will vary on this. Having grown up drinking tap water, when I first started drinking Brita regularly, I found it very bland. However, if I'm visiting a place, the tap water often tastes 'off' because it has minerals etc. that I am unaccustomed to. OVERALL This is a very minimal investment to have pre-chilled, clean(er) water on hand. For municipalities where the tap water contains harmful amounts of copper, mercury and/or cadmium, this is a no-brainer. You should have one of these, as well as a shower head filter. Water is THE healthiest drink, bar none. If having a Brita filter encourages you to drink water instead of other liquids, then it may be one of those stupidly awesome decisions that adds years to your life. Happy drinking."

"Ahhhh... the Brita filters. They're like magic. You put in your tap water with a bad after taste, and it comes out tasting like water should... like nothing! They don't filter everything; they don't purify (kill bacteria), but they sure do make the water taste good and take out much of the harmful additives. Also, they are cheap compared to buying water and don't cause nearly as much waste as bottled water. They also save energy because they do not use massive amounts of fuel (truck or human!) for hauling. Besides, you know most bottled waters are from the ta anyway, don't you? The three-pack is a discounted version of the single-pack, without the price commitment of hte larger packs."

"I've been using Brita Filter in my household since before 2008, so a while, and I wish I had started SOONER. I got everyone in my family to useit too. Here's the number one reason you should switch if you haven't already: The Water Tastes Better!! Better than bottled water, better than tap water, better than any other type of water. We use filtered water for my Zojirushi which is my Japanese hot water "kettle" if you will - it makes a HUGE difference in the taste of tea and coffee. We use filtered water to wash nuts, rice, and to cook. We use filtered water to drink obviously at room temperature. Cold water can hurt your vocal chords and isn't really good for your body. We use filtered water to make smoothies and soups and other liquid meals. We love our Brita so much that we now have two of them and these filters are entirely worth it. You can see some pictures I attached here. They are super easy to install. Just make sure you do the following: 1. Remove the original filter and discard. 2. Submerge your new filter in cold water for about 15-20 minutes or even longer. 3. Install the new filter by snapping it into place. 4. Put water inside your Brita pitcher. 5. Fill it up and let water to run through the pitch at least 3 times because of the carbon inside the filter. 6. The fourth batch you can drink as long as it's super clear and clean. Enjoy and change out your filter frequently and never buy bottled water again. I sound like I'm preaching. Maybe I am. Hope this helps ya!"

"The Brita pitcher water filtering system is a good idea if you have problems with your tap water. Filtered water is a much lower cost than bottled water and as long as your tap is running, you can have an almost endless supply. I used to live in New York City. The water quality is variable at best. The city constantly monitors water and "adjusts" additives to combat bacteria and other pollutants. Often, especially in the summer months, the chlorine level is very high. The Brita filter takes care of the chlorine problem and removes other additives, as well. The result is clear, fresh & pure tasting water that is excellent for drinking, cooking, beverage making and ice cubes (bad ice cubes can ruin a drink.) Heed the instructions about filter replacement. The filters are rated at 40 US gallons each. If you exceed the recommended filter "life", you will definitely notice diminished results. This is especially noticeable with chlorinated water. The smell returns and the filtered water does not taste as good any more. All-in-all, this is an excellent filter, but it's no speed demon. The only real problems I've noticed are with the pitcher timer breaking and the poor results if you leave the filter in the pitcher too long (beyond the 40 gallon estimated limit.) Also, do not allow the filter to dry out once you've started using it. Buying the larger packages of filters saves money and is worth it, in the long run. Update: Brita replacement pitcher filters now have an advanced design. Compared to the older filters, the new ones have two noticeable improvements: they are easier to grip from the top and there is significantly less sediment fallout in the reservoir."

"I was excited to try this new design of filter. Upon installing the first new one I noticed it didn't fit quite as snug as the old style filters. I went through a pitcher of water and when I refilled the pitcher I noticed the water was going through the filter very fast. The next day I filled it again when the water level was below the bottom of the filter housing and I found that the water was pouring out of the bottom of the housing essentially bypassing the filter. Upon pouring out the water the filter just fell out. I put it back in place and pushed quite hard to seat it. I can clearly see an area where the filter has an ever so slight gap where it fits into the housing. The only way to know if your water is bypassing around the edge of the filter is to have an empty pitcher so you can see it running down the inside of the housing and not just coming out the four holes. If this is happening you are drinking UNFILTERED water. I called Brita after reading all the negative reviews as their customer service number was conveniently posted in a rather generic response to all the one star reviews. To their credit the customer service rep I spoke with was very understanding. I think they know the new filters do not fit as well as they should. I recommended they consider adding some type of o ring around the filter where it seats into the housing. They asked me where I bought them and how much I paid for them and to my surprise they offered to send out a replacement at no charge. That tells me there was either a bad batch or they are trying to appease customers until they come up with a fix. I will give these replacement filters a try and see how it goes but now I am paranoid about drinking unfiltered water. As usual, companies cannot leave well enough alone when they already have a good product."

"I have been using my Brita pitcher for years, and I can't even imagine the amount of times I've replaced the filter in them. It has always been the same routine wait for the filter to soak in water, put filter in pitcher, and wonder what in the world the black flecks were that would always end up floating in the basin (I think it's carbon or something). But anyway, these resigned filters are great! They eliminate both the pre-soak and the black flecks, and I could not be happier. All you need to do is rinse the filter under cold water for 15 seconds and pop it in, then refill the pitcher. I have noticed that while not needing to let the filter pre-soak speeds up the filter changing process in and of itself, I don't know if it ultimately sped up my filter changing 'routine' since I have always throughly cleaned the pitcher every time I change a filter. So I guess depending on what your routine is, it may save you time or not. I also appreciate that Brita chose to make these new-design filters compatible with all existing Brita pitchers. It seems all to often that companies will introduce a new product that isn't compatible with prior generation and discontinue the old version so you're forced to upgrade to the latest-and-greatest, and it's a nice change to see Brita not simply going for the quick money-grab. As for the taste, I imagine that depends on the original source of the water and one's own subjective taste preferences, but I think the water that comes out of my pitcher tastes great. I live in Boston, and have always thought that the water tastes a bit too much like chlorine, and the Brita filtration makes the water taste much better than drinking it from the tap."


Brita Water Filter Pitcher Advanced Replacement Filters, 3 Count (Compare Deals from $14.88)