Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack

"Very sturdy and simple bike rack. I had gone to my local bicycle shop and they sold me a cheap knock-off for twice the price without the lateral stabilizers. I am all for supporting local businesses but that was ridiculous! This Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike trunk mount rack does the job and is incredibly sturdy. However, this is my first rack so I don't have anything to compare it to. It attaches at five points on your trunk and the lateral straps make all the difference in the world. I have only used it with one bike but have been quite confident driving around--the highest speed I have gone with it is 55mph. BUT it also handles well on hilly, windy roads, and in sharp turns (the first rack I tried wobbled in turns). Two down-sides: 1) It has been rained on a couple times and one of the metal pieces that hooks into the trunk top edge is showing a tiny bit of rust. The metal hooks are coated, but *not* in a rubberized material so I fear they will be prone to rust and scratching (though I am not worried about it in that part of my car) 2) the two metal rods that actually slot into place to make the rack work (go from folded to "open") are quite stiff and my boyfriend needed to un-fold the rack for me. So, I haven't folded it back up for fear I wouldn't be able to put it back. Hard to explain...sorry...but it kind of defeats the purpose of it being foldable and easy to store. Perhaps this is just a glitch with my particular one?"

Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack (Compare Deals from $39.99)

"This unit is a solid price-performer. I ordered it for my 2012 Subaru Forester. An alternative was to buy the Subaru-licensed car-top kit for about $200 - per bike. If I was going to frequently transport bikes, that would be the way to go. But, for very occasional use, the Allen rack is fine, and MUCH cheaper. It is very stable. I took it for a 200-mile trip, and stopped to check it a couple of times. There were no adjustments required ... it was just as I had set it up at home. As far as comments about the metal clips and their potential to scratch the car's paint ... rather than find out I lined the inside of the clips with a piece of Gorilla-brand duct tape. You also need to secure the front wheel .... I used a bungie cord to do that. Also, while it SHOULDN'T be necessary, I put a work glove over the inside pedal so it wouldn't scratch the care on the chance it came in contact with it. As I said, the rig stayed as I had secured it prior to the trip, so it was unnecessary. But ... I've been accused of being overly cautious ... belts and suspenders, y'know? Anyway, I'm impressed with the design and execution of this rack. And, by the way, it's the second one I've bought this year ... the first was for my daughter."

"I had been watching this rack for a while and finally took the plunge when it recently was a gold box special. Works exactly as expected. The attachment straps provided a solid lock on my trunk and I found no scratching of the paint after removing the rack. I was a little concerned that the bike supports closest to the vehicle would give me issues. However, when I put the bike on, it was clear of any contact with the vehicle - but I did have to rotate the peddles around to insure the clearance. The bike straps are similar hold down to a four bike rack that I use on our family van and hold well. After getting this rack, I used it to carry my bike across Texas on highways at speeds up to 75 mph - straps were as solid and snug on arrival as they were when I started driving. With the bikes removed, I found I could easily open my trunk without having to remove the rack. A perfect and cost effective way to move a couple of bikes with your car."

"Brazenly unsafe, but I guess you get what you pay for. Paid ~$35 during the Prime Day sale and set up the bike rack a few days later when I received it. The hooks attached to the car as expected and could be very securely tightened. I have no issue with the way the rack attaches to the car itself, that's secure for the most part. My issue lies with the rack's flimsy fabric and plastic buckle tighteners (think adjustable backpack straps) that are supposed to hold onto a 30lb bike. I was driving at conservative speeds on a road that is no more bumpy than average when one of the two fasteners came undone and the bike slid off. Luckily I had tied the wheel in place with excess strap and the other fastener held on, but it would be incredibly negligent of me to try and use this thing again. My bike sustained minimal damage, but my trunk's paint is pretty torn up. I imagine the Amazon return will be process without issue but I'm more than likely out the cost of having that buffed out. For now I guess I'll suck it up and disassemble the bike before shoving it in the trunk - probably less of a headache than dealing with insurance after the bike flies off the rack and hits somebody."

"I have used this rack for several trips. I wanted to wait until I had used the rack several times prior to writing a review and so far I love the rack. The tie downs to hold the bike frame onto the rack excellent. I used my daughters bike rack made by another well known bike trunk mount company and the tie downs were crap and broke because they were rubber. The straps for the four points to attach the rack onto the car work very well and tighten without any problems. I like the two side straps as well. As instructed, I place the two top straps first, then the bottom and tighten both of them, then the two side straps. You can use the extra length of the straps for additional securement of the bike to the rack, including keeping the tire from spinning. I choose to use both the straps and additional bungee straps. I have a 2009 Jeep Liberty and it fits on there as Allen Sports stated it would (Pictures included), The bicycle stays in place the whole trip and does not move. On the Allen web site, you can find if this rack is right for your vehicle. In addition, on the carton that the bike rack comes in is a whole list of vehicles that the rack is made for and that is a long list, including hatch backs, SUV's, etc."

"I'm really liking this little bike rack. I was worried it might leave scuff marks in the paint of my car, but it hasn't. The soft rubber pads are very gentle. It is really easy to install on just about any trunk lid and is quite sturdy. I would recommend is purchasing some Softride Hook and Loop SorfWraps to keep the front wheel of your bike from flopping around in the wind. I would also recommend taking electrical tape and taping up the hooks that go on your car to prevent any metal on paint contact."

"I wish I had the option to give this product zero stars. I am absolutely amazed so many people have rated this so high. It was a nightmare to put together and it does not stay secure. We had to pull over multiple times to retighten the rack and almost lost our bikes several times in the process. I assure you we followed the instructions carefully and even took extra precautions to secure our bicycles. The product is cheap and it is not well put together and it is not worth anything. The straps have to be tied, they don't even have clips. The bottom bar folds under and the metal hooks leave scrapes and scratches on the metal of your car. I would spend the extra money and get a better, more well made product. I promise you will be disappointed."

Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack (Compare Deals from $39.99)