Camco 40043 TastePURE Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector

"Bought this because my Spotless Water system is too expensive to run. With our Florida well water, the Spotless filters only last 4 or 5 car washes before they begin to spot again. I read so many positive reviews about this Camco filter WRT spotless car washing that I decided to try it. Claims were that it left no water spots and that even if you have high TDS in your water, this would solve the spotting. Not so! Our TDS here is 285 right out of the tap (I have a TDS meter). After installing the filter and giving it plenty of run time (5 minutes of flow plus a full car wash), TDS was 285 without the filter and 285 WITH the Camco filter. The filter didn't reduce TDS at all! This thing is about as effective for spotless car washing/rinsing as an empty plastic pipe. Not surprisingly, after washing and thoroughly rinsing my black car in the FL sun, some of the water drops dried and left water spots just as bad as without the filter. So this filter is totally ineffective at eliminating water spots. You have to reduce your TDS to near zero (like the Spotless Water Systems product) using a deionization process. This filter just doesn't work: you are still going to have to dry your car with a chamois which makes the product useless for me as that's what I was trying to avoid. Mike"

Camco 40043 TastePURE Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector (Compare Deals from $15.81)

"Without an actual water test it's hard to determine how well the filter itself actually works. There are a few things that everyone should know; 1) These filters do actually leak.. It's mostly a slow drip from the bottom where you would connect your drinking hose; I plan on trying Teflon tape to make the connection a little better. 2) There is an explosion like leak when the water in the camper is turned on and then turned off. It's almost like a back pressure that blows out anyway it can. Although I'm not a fan of water waste; if this is a mechanism to prevent blowing the whole unit apart I'm OK with this as long as I'm not standing next to it when it happens. 3) This is the most important; every time you hook one of these up (new or used), make sure you let water run through it to get any loose charcoal out before connecting to your camper (or anything else you decide to use this with)."

"I found washing cars at home in Florida did not give the same results as California Bay Area water. Too much spoting and white residue left. Saw a review where some one else used this filter for improving car wash water so I bought this filter. PRO Great looking product for the cost Gret looking packaging Product screw thread fit water tight to water source and hose After a few gallons the water comes out clear and works well for washing a car and rinsing it off CON Water flow a first was about 60% of normal due I assume to flow restriction Water flow after a few more minutes and less than 5 gallons was reduced to 10% of normal The reduced flow could barely remove the car wash soap First few gallons had a lot of black, I assume carbon, color to the water that became clean and clear water as seen in the bucket Note: I did verify the high flow direction as the lable showed. I may try to upload photos later. Overall For Florida hose water in the space coast area and used for car wash this is not a good product. For a motorcycle or small product okay. For other uses I have no idea Would not buy again"

"This works very well to fix the bad taste of RV park water. Pretty amazing that a small inexpensive unit like this can make such a big difference in the taste of water. The only problem we have with it is that it's a bit hard to install correctly so that it doesn't leak. The plastic threads have to be just right or it leaks. This often takes several attempts. Even though it looks right it's not so we have to undo it and reset it again. Eventually we get it just right and it doesn't leak. We have decided that it's easier to hook the short flexible hose to the park faucet then the filter then the 25" hose to our RV that way if if does leak and we don't want to spend the time getting it perfect then the water drips away from our trailer in the grass and not down the side of the RV. We will continue to use this every year! Don't forget, if you fill up your fresh water holding tank make sure and use this when filling up or you will be surprised with yucky tasting water after you have already spent an hour to set up the RV, ask me I know..."

"I bought 5 of these filters to help fill my pool. I had filled my pool 2 weeks prior but unfortunately had to drain it because it wasn't fully level. The first time I filled my pool I didn't use a filter at all and when I placed my shock into the pool it ended up turning very brown, all 10,000 gallons or so. This time when I had to fill up my pool I looked into filters that should help eliminate or at least reduce the iron in my water. When I looked into these filters I figured they would last around 3,000 gallons each roughly and thought I would have at least one extra. I set it up with a two filter on a line set up in hopes of being able to filter out everything possible from the water and making the water in the pool very clear. The way I looked at it, the filter closest to the pool should be changed twice (every 5,000 gallons) and the first filter should be changed every 3,000 or so. I made it roughly around 700 gallons between each of the 5 filters before they all gave up and were completely clogged. That's much less then expected and I am highly disappointed with the outcome of this product. I ended up having to fill the rest of the pool threw another filter system and still had tons of iron in the pool. I was very disappointed for spending around 80$ or so to have to still do all the work I would have done with out the filters involved and would not recommend these filters to anyone at all."

"Have been using this system in RV past three years. Good filtration, relatively easy to install, initial price lower than other systems. Longevity appears to depend on quality of water supply, amount of water usage, and success in flushing the cartridge. For my wife and I, the cartridge water flow slows after about 40 days of actual use. Too bad the entire cartridge must be tossed at end of life. I wish the manufacturer would offer "cartridge only" as an option and reduce price since hose connection basically remains viable. This system may not be cost effective for full-timers. EDIT ADDED: Some of the subsequent reviews reference leaks occurring specific to the use of this cartridge. The cartridge does not leak but if the hose is kinked or bent for any reason, the likelihood of a leak increases. This seems to occur because of limited space to place the cartridge at the faucet or near or in the RV forcing a hose to bend to fit. The flex hose extension helps but does not always solve the problem. Keeping the hose as straight as possible helps. I also keep a good supply of new, real rubber washers on hand to replace at connections that appear to be an issue. Maybe it just helps me feel better, but I think it helps. I see hoses leaking with or without the cartridge."

"This filter is so-so. I have it set up so that all the water filters through it before it comes into my travel trailer at the city water hook up. In other words, this filter is the the last connection to my travel trailer. I find it upsetting that it doesn't filter out all the negative tastes from the water. I'm not sure why, but I've gotten a 'rubber hose' taste in my water. Yes, I am using hosing marked for drinking water. I'm not sure if this filter is supposed to take care of that type of taste, but it doesn't. I'll have to play around with my setup, I may be doing something wrong, it might be that even though my hoses are marked for drinking water they may have a rubber hose taste until enough water runs through them. I will buy another one of these, unless I upgrade to a canister type filter."

Camco 40043 TastePURE Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector (Compare Deals from $15.81)